What's Old Is New Again

I started taking pictures (with film) when I was in the 5th grade.  I have tons - TONS - of photos and negatives all around the house.  The smell of developer still makes me happy in ways nothing else can.

I was a slow convert to digital.  It was somewhere around 2002.  And even then, I didn't want to fully five up my love of film  But slowly the draw of being able to take as many digital pictures as I like, the ability to easily manipulate them or delete with ease drew me in.  I was a full digital girl sortly after that.

My kids have grow up with digital pictures.  They've known nothing else.  Until now.

My ex gave M a trip to Six Flags for her birthday.  She wanted to take a camera, but not one she'd be devastated at losing.  So we looked around CVS and discovered they still have disposable film cameras.  Who knew  She picked a water resistant one so she could use it in the water park.  That thing was monster sized.  But it was cool and it was what she wanted.

Finding a place to get film developed wasn't so easy.  CVS didn't do that.  We didn't know where else to go.  Rite Aid was on our way home one day so we looked there.  Success!  The only deal was we'd have to wait for 2 weeks for it to be developed and delivered back to the store. Two long weeks!

Finally, the time came.  We went in and gave our slip to the cashier.  She didn't know what to do with it.  But the manager did.  They handed M an envelope and she just looked at me.  What is it?  Open it, I said.  First she pulled out the negatives.  What are these?  Clearly I have failed in this area of her upbringing.  I explained what negatives were.  Then she looked at all the pictures.  This is so much more fun than the instant gratification we get by looking at the little screen on the back of the camera.

Then she showed it to A.  Why is there a film strip in here?  Not a film strip, negatives.  Then the excitement of seeing the pictures infected her, too.  This was just too much fun.

Ah, to go back in time and remember what it's like to get my film developed.......




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day