An unlikely fan

I've been quiet here for the last month or so.  I've started to write a lot of posts but none of them make me happy.  I started to write about the ineptitude of medical personnel and the rudeness they exude.  I started to write about what it feels like to have a life stuck in limbo.  I started to write about what it feels like when the only parent you have left is in peril.  None of those were fun.

So I decided to take a break and go to my happy place for a day.  I made the ride to Ocean City, New Jersey last week alone to go meet a friend and see the Indigo Girls play at the Music Pier.  One of my favorite bands was playing in one of my favorite places.  How could I be anything but happy?

Then I got to thinking about it.  Why do I like the Indigo Girls (IG)?  I'm not like the rest of their fan base.  I'm not gay.  I don't like folk music (at all).  I do like female vocals (a lot).  I had a lot of time to think about it on the ride up.

They were the first show I ever interpreted. I was assigned to Pink Floyd but because I had never ever seen an interpreted show before, I was placed on IG as an understudy.  I learned what to and not to do as an interpreter at that show.  Still, it felt foreign to me.

And I liked the music.  This was a shock to me.  I listened to rock/alternative music my whole life.  I like lots of bass and drums and just plain loud.  So this doesn't make sense.

More thinking.

They are sentimental to me.  I've interpreted for them about a dozen times over the last 20 years.  I know most of their music inside and out.  I've associated their music with specific times in my life - during medical crisis, my divorce and my recovery back into single life.

My conclusion?  It's their use of idioms.  I hate idioms.  When I'm interpreting, that stops and stumps me every freaking time.  Every time.  But I like it when they sing with all their weird and picturesque expressions.  It challenges me.  And I can make it work in ASL.  And it makes me feel comfortable.  I know it.  My brain is happy when I hear it.

So there you go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day