When Sleep Makes Me Laugh

Andrew and I went out to lunch with some of my favorite people yesterday, SB and AC.  We always talk about things that make me laugh.  I was pleasantly surprised when SB told me a story that has happened to me: when you wake up pissed off at your bed partner because they did something bad in a dream.  There were several times over the years I would wake so pissed at my ex that I couldn't look at him.  He had done something terrible in my dream and I would harbor that anger all day.  It wasn't really his fault and after the first few times he took it in stride, but it still makes me laugh.

So that got me to thinking about the other things that happen in my sleep that make me laugh.  My sleep woes are no secret.  I stopped sleeping through the night when my girls were born.  I got used to (as much as one can) waking up for those middle of the night feedings and never got back to a normal sleep schedule.  It makes me insane.  And makes me feel tired all the freaking time.

But there are times when I do sleep.  And there are times when that sleep makes me laugh.  My ex thought I was cheating on him once when I talked about Donald Hollinger in my sleep.  The morning conversation started with a very unhappy man:

"Who is Donald Hollinger!"

"That Girl's boyfriend.  Why?"

"What does that mean?"

"You know, that tv show from forever ago - with Marlo Thomas.  THAT GIRL.  He was her boyfriend.  Why?"

"Because you were saying his name in your sleep."

"Oh.  Well, I thought he was cute when I was growing up."

Now, why would I be calling out Donald Hollinger's name in my sleep?  I have no idea.  It still makes me laugh.

It also makes me laugh when I think about the person who shall remain nameless who farted so loudly the house woke up.  Seriously.

Falling out of the bed, which happens rarely, not only wakes me but cracks me up.

My kids often sleep together.  Yes, they do have their own beds.  They just can't giggle as much when they're separated.  It always makes me laugh when I hear one talk to the other in the middle of the night.  "Give me my blanket!  You stole it!" Or my favorite (because I feel this way when one of them sleeps with me: "Get off of me!

I miss the time when I could sleep.  But I love the times when I do and I wake up laughing.  Even if it is in the middle of the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day