Judgy Judi

I wrote something on facebook that I have felt bad about since I hit that post button.  This has taught me a few important lessons.  One, I need to recheck my internal censor button.  Two, I need to remember that the way something sounds in my head is not always the way a reader hears it.  Three, sometimes I need to shut up.

What did I do, you ask?  I made a comment about "Jesus freaks".

It was wrong to do for many reasons.  There are two parts that keep bugging me.  One, I offended some folks - something I would never intentionally do.  I like those people.  I respect their beliefs.  Yet based on what I wrote, they would never know that.  Two, I did exactly what I tell my kids not to do.  I judged folks based on looks (the crosses on their backs), not on knowing them.  I have been known to argue with my (atheist) boyfriend about his comments against those with religious beliefs but I just did the same thing!  So now I'm a hypocrite AND a mouthy ass.

This doesn't make me happy.  It certainly doesn't make me proud.

The lesson here?  Yeah, keep my mouth shut.  That's kind of obvious.  Think before I speak?  I should have learned that by third grade.  But apparently I didn't.  Remember that I don't appreciate being judged for what I do or don't believe/hair color/appearance/parenting style, etc, so maybe it would behoove me to not do that to others?  Yeah, I need to remember that one.

I think the Universe is trying to teach me something.  Why?  Because for three nights of the last week, there has been a chorus in my dreams singing (endlessly!!) The will know we are Christians by our love. Seriously.  Hopefully my lesson has been learned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day