2012, don't let the door kick you in the ass....

Happy 2013.

This is the time of year when I'm supposed to be reminiscent of 2012 and make resolutions for 2013, right?  Well, I don't want to do that.  But I suppose I will.  Just because.

2012 was a mixed bag sort of year.  It started off rough with the death of my mother in law.  I set and met a goal (which is a rarity for me) with the Avon Walk for Cancer.  I walked my ass off (literally).  Just so you know, if you stop walking insane amounts of miles, the ass comes back.  That was depressing.

I took my first vacation without members of my family in 15 years.  That's 15 years, folks!  Really, it's probably longer than that but I refuse to go back further in time to figure it out.  My boyfriend, Andrew, and I went to Geneva and took a quick side trip to Paris.  That was fun and a great adventure for me.  I learned that I can indeed travel without insane amounts of anxiety and that there's a not so hidden part of me that really likes discovering new places.  And I like wine.  Too much fun.

I also cut the cord a bit and went for nearly a month without seeing my kids.  That might not have happened if not for video chats and lots of phone calls.  My kids came back from sailing camp talking like sailors - the good kind.  Their cousin, Dana, worked a few miracles and taught them to eat healthier and gave them the experience of having little brothers.  A few weeks with them up at their cottage on Lake Ontario was just what the girls needed.  We all had a great summer.

We said au revoir to elementary school and a nearly fully French education and hello to a middle school school taught mostly in English.  We went from two or three teachers a day to closer to eight.  And it's all within a school of middle school age kids.  I bow to the folks who can teach those pre-teen moody kids.

I didn't quite make my goal of blogging weekly but I came much closer than I have in previous years.  If I count all the posts that remain in draft, I made my goal.  I'll let you decide if that counts.

I realized again that I have the best friends in the world.  You know that whole "It Takes a Village" thing?  My friends are our village.  How do I know this?  Because when my kids talk about our family, they mention my friends by name.  M & L came to girl scouts to bail my sorry ass out.  A & S reminded my kids that laughter fixes an awful lot of bad stuff.  D and A have become second and third moms (or big sisters) to my girls and keep me sane.  Those are just a few examples.  I'll say it again, my friends are awesome.

It feels like it's been a long and stressful year but as I write this I realize there was far more fun than stress.  The stress has its moments but really the good outweighed the bad.  Okay, 2012, you may leave gracefully and not with the door kicking you in the ass.  2013, the pressure is on.  You better be a good year.

Comments

  1. I think just about everyone is ready to get on with 2013 and leave 2012 behind. We're doing a jar this year where we put all the good stuff that happens so we don't dwell on the crap at the end of the year. Love seeing your year in review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

Wacky Hair Day

A Life Well Lived....so far