The People You Meet Along The Way - Terp Edition 1

There are lots of people I've met over my 55 years that have had an impact on me.  I suspect most don't know that.  I think I'll start writing about the various people who have impacted me, sometimes positively and sometimes less so.  I should probably tell them to their face.  That takes courage that I might not have.  Goal #98549 for this year.

I should probably start with someone who just left this world.  She was one of the folks who hired me at this super large interpreting agency way back when in 1993.  I started my mentorship there and thought I'd go home.  I was hired for a 3 month stint that turned into 6 months and I never left.  Well, I left that agency but never left the area.  And I never left my connections with SLA.  They are in many ways my family.

They are my friends.  They're the people who have been through one marriage, a divorce and my second marraige with me, even if just from sidelines in the facebook world.  They were willing to take my babies when I lived down the street from their office so I could take a shower in peace or get groceries without having to carry food plus two babies at the same time.  They watched my kids grow up and kept tabs on what we were all doing.  They were/are my family.

My relationship with Jan was ....what's the word?  Unusual.  She was my mentor and she challenged me in every possible way.  Every.  Possible.  Way.  We didn't see eye to eye on a lot but she taught me what I needed to know.  She gave me opportunities that I never dreamed of.  I interpreted for important people.  I'd say I'm not so sure I'm ready for this.  Her response?  Well, you won't know until you try. I think you can.  And I did it.  I got to go to black tie events. I was introduced to people I read about and studied when I was in school.  Everyone - everyone - knew her (and my other bosses).

She also never forgot anything.  Those stupid things I said when I was starting out - she remembered those.  Those akward moments of going from a punk girl to professional - she remembered those, too.  She reminded me of those things every time I saw her.  It annoyed me to no end but you know what?  She remembered those.  And she remembered me.  Every time.

Her death, so sudden and unexpected (to me), has shaken me more than I expected.  I reached out to my friend, my (work) twin.  I always reach out to him, and him to me, when big things happen, I told him this has hit me hard.  It's like the beginning of the end of something I never thought would go away.  It all feels different now.

Probably the biggest thing I learned from Jan (and, honestly, Jana and Janet - yes, all my bosses had similar names) was feedback - how to give it and take it with grace.  I learned how to listen.  I have never doubted that I owe my success to the people who took the time to teach me.

Thank you, my mentors.  I owe you a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day