Sigh

It's the last day of what can only be described as a year I don't think I'll ever forget.  I think most folks describe this as a shit show year and for the most part it was.  But somewhere along the line in the middle of the stay at home order, I realized it didn't all completely suck.  That's about as positive as I get.

So, looking back on 2020, what good things happened?  Let me go down the list.

1.  We adopted Sophie and shower her with love daily.  She has done more for us than any of us have done for her.  I love her.  


2.  I got a new (to me) car and it's fancier than anything I've had before.  I like this.

3.  I got a new job.  I have responsibility now - not that I didn't before but this is different.  I can plan to retire.

4.  I have seen a lot (read:  A LOT) of Maryland that I hadn't explored before.  We have visited:

    The Calvert Marine Museum - who knew otters and seahorses were native to Maryland??  


    Frederick - they do outdoor dining quite well.
    Point of Rocks - pretty but redneck
    St. Mary's County - pretty and I want to live here but a little republican for my taste.
    Great Falls - I am the only person I know who hasn't been there.
    C&O canal - that was a lot of fun to explore.
    White's Ferry - that has to be the shortest ferry ride in the US.
    Thurmont - specifically the Wildlife Preserve.  I love this place despite the fact it's a zoo.
    Ocean City - Mikaela "attended" class virtually so we could escape one particularly warm Nov afternoon.  


    Annapolis - Anja and I enjoyed wandering around, eating crabcakes (me, not her.  Ever.) and going on a boat tour - all socially distanced from other folks.  It was a beautiful day.  

    American Visionary Museum in Baltimore - this reminded me that there are people like me out there.  I love everything about that place.  



5. We ventured to a few other places, too.  I loved going to Lancaster and seeing all the covered bridges.  I loved buying flowers from the Amish farmers on the side of the road and especially going to the Amish grocery.  


        We went to Virginia several times - a rarity for me!  We went to the Shenandoah valley and wandered around a lot of small towns.  It was actually pretty.  Andrew even got to catapult pumpkins out in a field.  Strange but fun.

6.  I thoroughly enjoyed meandering from here to my friend's art show in PA.  Driving mostly on back roads showed me parts of both states I hadn't seen before.  A bonus drive to Lansdale made me happy and sad all at once.

7.  We socialized a bit in our back yard.  I have perfected making pizza on the grill.  Fig, onion, prosciutto and arugula is my favorite.  

8.  We got a fire pit.  I love it but I hate when my hair smells like a camp fire.

9.  I learned how to catch crabs.  That was a lot of fun.  Having them escape in my fridge over night was less fun.

10.  So many other adventures....like riding a bike for the first time in 30 years, holding ducks and chickens, playing with slugs, cooking (lots of that)....just finding fun in a challenging time.

Probably most of all, I enjoyed having to slow down a bit and having my family around.  That was good.

So long 2020.  I won't soon forget you.  Cheers to a better 2021.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day