Fan Girl

It is a rare thing when I am flustered and giddy to the point of being nearly speechless.  It happens, but rarely.  It happened on Wednesday night.

And to think I almost didn't go.

A few months, I saw that Midge Ure was touring and would be at a venue I had never gone to on a work night.

Let me break that down a bit:

1.  Andrew was going to see someone he didn't love but knows I do because I love(d) Midge Ure forever ago.  While he's never been a jerk about this, I'm still aware when he's not enjoying himself.

2.  It's at a venue I don't know and as someone with anxiety, that's kind of a big deal.  I've been known to ditch shows (where I'm a patron, not an interpreter) because of it.  Granted, it's been a while but that feeling is always there.

3.  It bothers me when people who are engraved in my brain in one way are old and can no longer sing.  Or when they were hot shit long ago and still think they are but they're not.

4.  I hate being tired.  The day after a concert - especially a good one where I'm too excited to sleep - is rough.

NONE OF THAT HAPPENED!!!!

The venue was fabulous - like a big living room with tables, food and wine.  Kinda can't beat that.  We arrived late which was 100% perfect because we were seated at the back of the room and I wasn't surrounded by people.  Perfect!  He talked about being in Visage, a band Andrew likes.  Andrew was even called on to ask a question (about Visage, of course) so he was very engaged.  And, because everyone is old, the show started at 7:30 and was done by 9:30 - I WAS STILL AWAKE!

He played a bunch of things I loved and a bunch of things I didn't know I loved.  And then - wait for it - he ended the show and said "I'll be in the back of the room if you want to talk to me."  GASP!!  So I got in line and hoped I'd come up with something to say.

It was my turn.

I said "I loved the show and I'm going to fan girl now."  Because I'm that freaking dumb.

But he was nice about it - especially when I said I was at Live Aid in Philly and lost a job to go because I wasn't going to miss that opportunity.  Then we talked about Kate Bush briefly and my face started to hurt from smiling so much.

Holy hell.  My face hurts 24 hours later because I'm still smiling.

l


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day