Words

Words are funny things. You can't touch them. Some people can't see them; others can't hear them. But they're important.

Once you say a word - it comes out of your mouth or off your hands - you can't take it back. I wish more people realized that.

Some words are awesome. Everyone knows my three favorite phrases:

1. I love you (add either mommy or sweetie at the end of that, depending on who's saying it)
2. Cancelled, BILLABLE!!

3. You're right, Judi

Those are all good words. They make me happy. Lots of other words make me happy as well. My co-worker who told me my hair smells good when she hugs me - those were good words. The client yesterday who told me she was grateful to have me there - again, good words. The comment "You're beautiful when you smile" made me do just that. However, the "I'm smarter than you" pre-teen crap I occasionally get from my kids isn't so good. Some other things I've heard lately are harder for me to get out of my head. I hate that. I envy those folks who can just let things slide. That doesn't work for me.

I like to have fun with words. I have one friend who is skilled with puns. Those words make me laugh. Listening to my children try to figure out new vocabulary in English and French makes me smile (and feel quite proud when it's not curse words). Language is an important part of my life. It's part of my job - I'm constantly analyzing how people use vocabulary. The words you choose tell a lot about you. The way one uses language either draws me in or turns me away. People forget about that. I think folks just take words for granted - I know I do. I forget that words hurt. I've had to apologize to my children on more than one occasion. The phrase "I'm sorry" goes a long way but it can't erase what's been said. Life would be much easier if it did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day