It's the Season of Death

Today is the first day of fall. It was all over the news. It's not something I want to hear when I first wake up. Really, it's not something I want to hear at all.

Autumn has never been a favorite time of mine. It meant going back to school, which always caused anxiety. It means the end of long days, pretty flowers and staying up late (yeah, I know that last one doesn't make sense but go with it for a minute). Fall means all the leaves change colors (granted, that's pretty) and then they fall off and everything looks dead. Besides, we all know what's coming next. Snow. I hate being cold.

People start wearing sad colors. Browns, oranges, yellows - they look pretty on leaves but not on clothes. I like bright purple, turquoise and pink - spring colors. Sweaters are good. They not only keep me warm but hide me. I like that.

The worst part of fall - without exception - is the time change. Fall back. Blech. Spring ahead - that even sounds happy. The days are long, the warmth stays. Fall back sounds dangerous. The days are shorter. I need MORE hours in my day, not less.

My mother had winter foods. Chili. I loved her chili (though I make it even better now). But she wouldn't cook it in the summer. And, though I think that's a silly rule, I don't cook it in the summer either. I don't eat hot dogs in the winter. There's just something not quite right about that. Does that make sense? Probably not. It's in me though. I can't change it.

My New Years Resolution last year (and the year before, I think) was to be PFP. Pretty Fucking Perky. I've mostly hit that target but lately have been missing it. So to end this somber post, I'll add something PFP about fall: there are more deer to watch on Sligo Creek Parkway (a good thing) and the sunsets lately have been pretty. That's as perky as I'm going to get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a bucket, it's a can

A Life Well Lived....so far

Wacky Hair Day